Health-care stocks staged a recovery as the biggest gainers on the index, led by marijuana producers. "They're functioning very well and we continue to believe in the long-term impact of the stock market".
When the Fed raises rates, the cost of borrowing money increases.
Bitcoin has slumped in recent sessions as a risk-off mood spread across financial markets. Church & Dwight and TripAdvisor were the only two stocks in the benchmark index to finish higher, gaining 2.63% and 3.64%.
As trading gets underway on Wall Street stocks are starting to recover some of yesterday's big losses with the Dow Jones Industrial Average gaining 1.3% to 24,653.36. The S&P 500 is up nearly 292 percent since bottoming in early 2009. The Dow had never lost more than 777 points in a single day.
The rout in US markets continued to ripple around the globe, reports CNN.
In currency markets, the Canadian dollar closed at an average trading value of 80.11 cents US, down 0.67 of a U.S. cent.
Traders saw the Dow drop 1,175 points amid a sell off rush.
Aumentan las entradas en la B Nacional y Superliga
Por lo que los boletos de Primera División que salían $250 hasta esta semana, alcanzarán la suma de los $320. En la B Metropolitana el precio llega a 220 pesos, cuando estaban 170 pesos.
They now predict there may be a few more interest rate rises on the horizon.
Monday's decline was 4.6%.
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin appeared at a previously scheduled hearing on Capitol Hill, where he urged lawmakers to focus on the economy's strong fundamentals.
"It's been a crazy period and today the market is probably just trying to find some footing", said John Lynch, chief investment strategist at LPL Financial in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Fidelity International's James Bateman said the prospect of inflation remaining low forever could not last. This sends it directly to a four-year high.
The price of gold, which is another haven was also slightly higher on Monday. The S&P 500 lost 4.1% to 2,648.94, also its largest fall since August 2011.
The selling has persisted into European trading hours, though at a more moderate pace. If the S&P reaches a decline of 13%, trading is halted again for 15 minutes.
The question investors are now asking is whether the worst is over - at least for now.
Does all of this mean we're entering a recession? The slide comes after many banks in the U.S. and U.K. considered banning customers from buying cryptocurrencies using their credit cards.
He said the numbers went down, because they shot up so fast.
- Usuarios podrán ganar recargas semanales de su Bip!: Revisa aquí cómo participar
- Reclaman cárcel común a Etchecolatz — La Plata
- Hombre abusa de una joven ebria en Las Vegas; nadie le ayuda
- Descubre las 10 marcas impuestas en el Super Bowl LII
- Edwin Besaile no aceptó cargos por 'cartel de la Hemofilia'
- "Reconocemos el liderazgo internacional del Perú" — Rex Tillerson
- Nicolás Maduro "no es bienvenido" al Perú, dice fujimorista Salgado
- Oposición venezolana: Aún no hay acuerdo, pese escenario listo a firmar
- Mueller's Russia probe needs to continue, despite Trump attacks — Lawmakers
- El Miss Venezuela lamenta renuncia de Osmel Sousa