Now, it looks as though he will be forced to face them with wounds still gaping as the Brazilian football federation closes in on an agreement with its Croatian counterpart for a game to be played on June 3.
Eriksen has apparently been on Barcelona's radar since he was 14 years of age, and sporting director Robert Fernandez is believed to have consistently checked in on the 26-year-old this term to keep abreast of his situation in north London.
"I only answer nicely now because I am friendly and we are in public but if someone asked me about the round after the round in private, I would leave the room".
Having won the trophy five times, most recently in 2005, Liverpool have a pedigree in European competition that few clubs can rival.
Liverpool have since righted the ship and got back on track, but there is the sense that, for all that the progress made under Klopp is evident in the uniqueness and ferocity of the playing style, the German may be running out of learning curves.
"It's true that I spoke often with Luis and Paulinho and they explained to me how things worked", he said. But their return to the competition after four years away is being celebrated on Merseyside, with local newspaper The Liverpool Echo heralding their return.
'However, there is no escaping the significance of Liverpool's presence in the knockout stages of the Champions League. "That is all", said Klopp.
Coutinho, who only joined Barça from Liverpool for £142m in January, is seen as a more attack minded player and wouldn't want to be deployed solely in a centre midfield position where his talents would be stunted.
"I don't know if Porto are going to be afraid, but we are going to make their life difficult and make them suffer". It could sometimes feel like shoehorning another forward into the side.
This is why acquiring Keita when they did was so important, and why trying to speed up the timeline was a legitimate desire. RB Leipzig, on their part, were vehement in their reluctance, even with reports indicating Liverpool were willing to pay a further £10 million.
If the ideal of Klopp's midfield configuration is to eschew specialization and embrace all-rounders in aid of frenetic pressing, then it is almost impossible to find a better exemplar. That's how it is.
Keita's dynamism, proficiency both in defensive and offensive actions, and flair on the ball means he is tailor-made for Liverpool's style.
- Barcelona have 'discarded' Liverpool's Sadio Mane, seems quite bitter — From Catalonia
- Universitario de Deportes vuelve a recibir una sanción por parte de Conmebol
- Google Chrome bloqueará anuncios molestos a partir de este 15 de febrero
- Federer quedó a dos escalones de reconquistar el número uno
- Philippe Coutinho set for return to Liverpool
- Videgaray inicia nueva gira de trabajo en Washington
- Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp hails Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah after Porto rout
- Marjorie insiste en llevarse a Matías a EU
- Animadoras norcoreanas, la sensación en PyeongChang 2018
- Formación, horario y TV — Junior vs Guarani