As the national weather service raised its warning to the highest code red level, a 62-year-old man was killed in the central Dutch town of Olst by a falling branch when he got out of his truck to remove debris blocking the road.
Trains on Germany's intercity lines gradually resumed operations a day after they were suspended due to the hurricane-force winds which caused transport chaos across northern Europe. He later died in hospital, Saxony-Anhalt state police said.
German insurers yesterday estimated that ferocious gales that battered Germany caused 500 million euros (US$613.6 million) in damages, as the number of dead across the country rose to eight.
In the south, the high-speed ICE trains were running as normal on Friday morning, although the service in the rest of the country remained subject to major disruptions, rail operator said.
Meteorologists and insurance companies have compared Friederike to winter storm Kyrill, which caused more than 2 billion euros worth of insured damage in 2007.
Arsenal enter race for Shakhtar midfielder Fred — Transfer News
Throw in Tottenham (8/13) to win at a Southampton side they drubbed 5-2 on Boxing Day and you have a treble paying almost 7/2. Saturday evening offers the runaway leaders the chance to put that loss behind them when Newcastle visit the Etihad Stadium.
"Authorities shut down some airports, while in North Rhine-Westphalia, some motorways and bridges had to be closed, with water levels rising along the Rhine River - just over a week after it had burst its banks".
Three people also died in the neighbouring Netherlands and Belgium.
"According to our first estimates, the damage to homes and cars is at least 90 million euros", the Dutch Association of Insurers said.
The Netherlands bore the initial brunt of Thursday's severe storms which slammed onshore with winds of up to 140kmh off the North Sea before barrelling across northern Europe.
- Cae clavadista inconsciente, tras golpearse en la plataforma
- Chelsea supera con comodidad a Brighton
- Advierten riesgo de "victoria populista" en 2018 en el país
- Jurgen Klopp delivers latest update on new Liverpool FC signing
- RPDC competirá en cuatro deportes en PyeongChang 2018
- Millonarios y América, primer enfrentamiento del Torneo Fox Sports
- Human Rights Watch insta a detener la violencia policial
- Nico Cartosio shared the details about his sensational work "Christmas on the moon"
- El Papa clama en Perú contra el saqueo, esclavitud y abuso sexual
- Fallece Olivia Lua, quinta actriz porno muerta en los últimos 3 meses