Chelsea Manning will run for the US Senate in Maryland, the AP reports.
On Tuesday, Manning protested Law Enforcement Appreciation Day with by tweeting "F**k the police".
The Federal Election Commission document, filed Thursday, listed Chelsea Elizabeth Manning of North Bethesda, Maryland, as a Democratic candidate for the United States senate.
But the offer to Manning sparked sharp criticism - including from CIA director Mike Pompeo, who pulled out of a Harvard forum, and former acting director Mike Morrell, who quit the university in protest - and it was later rescinded. He has served two terms and is an overwhelming favorite to win.
Senator Cardin was elected in 2006 was easily re-elected in 2012, beating his Republican challenger by 30 points in the heavily-Democratic state. Last year, President Obama commuted her sentence to time served.
The primary will be held on June 26, 2018, ahead of the Nov. 6 general election that Democrats are eying as a chance to retake Congress and restrain president Donald Trump.
She has written about transgender rights and bullying in columns published on the website Medium.
Manning moved to Maryland after her release from prison.
Maryland Democratic Party Chair Kathleen Matthews did not immediately return a comment request.
Sen. Ben Cardin (D-MD) speaks during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, about the Paris climate agreement.
She was placed in solitary confinement after attempting suicide twice.
"My goal is to use these next six months to figure out where I want to go", she told the magazine. Now Manning is set to make history herself with an eye for the Senate seat. Paul Sarbanes, according to the Baltimore Sun. "And when you lose that, you try to do something to grab a headline". "I've been having dozens of conversations around the state". In Jan. 2017, she authored an editorial in The Guardian in which she praised Obama's leadership and blasted his critics as stubborn and narrow-minded. "We need to actually take the reins of government and fix our institutions".
- El FC Barcelona quiere conquistar Colombia con el fichaje de Yerry Mina
- AMD Surges After Intel Reportedly Reveals Processor Flaw
- Peña Nieto encabezó la 29 reunión de embajadores y cónsules
- Sismo de magnitud 7.3 grados sacude Perú; no hay reporte de víctimas
- Intel says performance impact of security updates not significant
- Eagles embrace underdog role, beat Falcons 15-10
- Look at past inter-Korean summits during era of detente
- Yerri Mina fue presentado oficialmente como nuevo jugador del Barcelona
- Nueva Inglaterra propina paliza a los Titanes y pasan a la final
- Un Boca renovado debuta ante Godoy Cruz en Mendoza