Evacuations were ordered along Rye Canyon Loop.
It was first reported about 5 acres but quickly grew to 200 acres and the response was upgraded, the Los Angeles County Fire Department reported. Rye Canyon Loop was also closed, along with state Route 126 from Copperhill Drive to the 5 Freeway. Simi Valley residents were on alert as the flames marched southwest toward that that community.
Wildfires in the eastern San Fernando Valley and Santa Clarita Valley have charred thousand of acres and closed major freeways.
Evacuation centers were established at Valencia High School at 27801 Dickason Drive and College of the Canyons, 6455 Rockwell Canyon Road.
Share this article: Smoke from the Rye Fire near Santa Clarita. Officials temporarily closed the 5 freeway. The red dots are the most recent, detected at 12:40 a.m. PST December 6, 2017. Officials are considering lifting some of the mandatory evacuation orders.
Campus Safety is also encouraging students to complete their activities indoors to avoid the dirt and debris kicked up by the high winds.
As of now, there are no plans to reschedule the 1AA regional final between Oaks Christian hosting San Diego Helix on Friday or Grace Brethen hosting Aquinas Saturday at Moorpark College in the 2A regional final.
The fire started early Tuesday morning in the Kagel Canyon area. Thousands of acres have been scorched and thousands of homes have been evacuated. "Classes are still scheduled", COC wrote on its Twitter.
- Sampaoli: "Por logística y cruces, uno se vincula con el Grupo B"
- Colombia jugará contra Francia en amistoso
- Doctora les impide tener sexo a sus jugadores
- Ryan Reynolds protagonizará el filme 'Pikachu Detective — Pokemón
- De Saint Malo irá a cita Iberoamericana de cancilleres en Guatemala
- Parrilli y Larroque, también procesados por Bonadío
- Simeone supera Zidane y Luis Enrique
- Yankees presenta a Aaron Boone como su nuevo manager
- Carlos Aguiar Retes será el nuevo arzobispo de México
- Motor de arranque para coches Dayco