There's video of the event. Mikolas has become a journeyman around baseball; while he's been with the Padres and the Rangers in the majors, he was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for Alex Dickerson in 2013 before being traded to the Rangers in 2014 for Chris McGuiness. Last season with the Yomiuri Giants, the 29-year-old went 14-8 over 27 starts, registering a 2.25 ERA while allowing 162 hits and striking out 187 opposing batters over 188 innings of work.
Right-hander Miles Mikolas is returning from Japan, agreeing to a $15.5 million, two-year contract with the St. Louis Cardinals. Among the reasons he chose the Cardinals was a chance to remain close to home for spring training and a family connection to St. Louis: His aunt was a principal at Incarnate Word Academy.
It's the sort of sustained success that Mikolas hadn't enjoyed previously.
OK, OK, Shohei Ohtani, the most bandied-about name headed to the U.S. for the 2018 season, wasn't the guy. Others that come to mind include Darrell May, who had a handful of useful starts for the 2003 Kansas City Royals, and Tony Barnette, who had a solid year as a setup man for the 2016 Rangers. Mikolas was then drafted by the San Diego Padres during the 2009 Junior Amateur Draft, where he was selected in the 7th round. "On Instagram, Wong referred to himself as "The Pebble" and Fowler suggested on Twitter that Stanton "#comeflexwithdex".
The Cardinals had scouts Jeff Ishii and Rick Meinhold as well as director of player personnel Matt Slater evaluate Mikolas in person, and what they saw was desired durability, a hold on his mid-90s-mph velocity late into games, and strikes. In addition to landing in pitching-friendly Busch Stadium, he also joins a team with a strong reputation for developing quality pitching; since the beginning of the 2010 season, the Cardinals rank third in team ERA (3.62), eighth in WHIP (1.28) and seventh in strikeout-to-walk ratio (2.6:1).
After all, it's often the unknowns who provide us the most bang for the buck. A number of the club's young starters could be limited in workload this season.
- Salen a la luz los detalles de la autopsia de Bennington
- Se siente el calor: la máxima alcanzará los 30 grados
- Paro nacional de ATE y la CTA: qué gremios adhieren
- Edwin Cardona podría perderse el Mundial de Rusia 2018
- Una mayoría de los accionistas aprueba la fusión entre Banorte e Interacciones
- Bomba casera en el Correo: el video de la explosión
- Trump and RNC Back Roy Moore Senate Bid Despite Sex Abuse Accusations
- Champions League: Manchester United target flops while fullback wanted by Chelsea thrives
- Turkish PM says Trump's plan for Jerusalem 'unlawful'
- Última fecha de la fase de grupos — Champions League