The active Falcon 9 rockets now rely on Block 4 Merlin engines.
2017 has been a banner year for SpaceX with 16 missions having been sent aloft, so far, from either KSC's LC-39A or SpaceX's launch site at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California - Space Launch Complex 4E (East).
SpaceX said Wednesday that one of its rocket engines exploded on November 4 during a test at its Texas facility.
The Merlin engine used in the company's Falcon 9 rockets was undergoing a "qualification test" before being used for one of the rockets.
In terms of Sunday's accident, SpaceX has encountered anomalies before. It's not clear why the engine ignited, but testing on the Block 5 Merlin 1D will apparently be suspended until the issue is fixed.
The company said Tuesday in response to questions that it is "now conducting a thorough and fully transparent investigation of the root cause" of the explosion.
No one was hurt in the incident, SpaceX said. It happened during a procedure known as LOX drop, in which liquid oxygen is added to the engine to determine if there are any leaks. "At SpaceX I don't think this incident will have any impact on the pace of launches".
If repairs on the first bay go as planned, the company should be able to continue "acceptance testing" for its Block 4 Merlin engines. The Merlin test stand has two bays, and while one bay may require as much as four weeks to fix, the other bay should be ready for use within a couple of days.
The Block 5 variant is expected to improve the Falcon 9's overall performance, in particular making it simpler and faster to re-use.
"This isn't going to have any impact on our launches this year or next year".
However, SpaceX is pausing development of its block-five Merlin engines not only to investigate the blast, but also make room to keep block-four Merlin engines qualified for flight. Both bays of the Merlin stand were damaged.
Musk has said the company also plans to launch its Falcon Heavy rocket for the first time this year.
- Procesan a Julio De Vido con prisión preventiva por administración fraudulenta
- Reclamaciones en sucursales bancarias aumentan 17% en 2017
- Ojo bachilleres: presentan cuarta convocatoria del programa 'Ser pilo paga'
- Carstens deja el Banxico con una tasa de referencia del 7%
- [VIDEO] Reportero sufre paliza de mafioso durante una entrevista
- Steven Seagal: Aparece nueva denuncia por acoso sexual contra el actor
- MUD anuncia "nuevo proceso de negociación serio"
- EEUU rechaza el retiro de inmunidad al opositor Guevara por ANC
- Sigue la búsqueda de Camila a tres días de su desaparición
- Analizarán precios del petróleo en foro internacional en Bolivia