Seo said that at around 3:14 p.m. on Monday, the JCS spotted three North Korean soldiers moving south of the Panmungak, or the North's main building in the Joint Security Area. "We closely monitored the situation with a surveillance system", he said.
A North Korean defector has issued an emotional plea to one of the world's most powerful men, China's President Xi Jinping.
To protect the family, CNN is using the pseudonym Mr. Lee, and is blurring the faces of the family in photographs.
But expectations were muted about whether the visit could move Mr. Kim to negotiate.
At Panmunjom, North Korean soldiers wearing lapel pins with the images of late North Korean leaders often use binoculars to monitor visitors from the South. They stand only several meters (yards) away from tall South Korean soldiers wearing aviator sunglasses and standing motionless like statues.
According to the Yonhap news agency, the South Korean military said the soldier suffered a gunshot from North Korean forces while defecting.
U.S. Defence Secretary Jim Mattis insisted on Monday that the carrier manoeuvrs are not extraordinary.
Vice President Mike Pence visited the area in September, warning Pyongyang not to test the United States' "strength and resolve". Why is he in a cold room, what guilt does he carry to have been put in a cold jail cell?
"Multiple carrier strike force operations are very complex, and this exercise in the Western Pacific is a strong testament to the US Pacific Fleet's unique ability and ironclad commitment to the continued security and stability of the region", Adm. Scott Swift, the commander of the US Pacific Fleet, said in a statement.
The news comes as a North Korean soldier defected by running across the DMZ on Monday. He said the exercises raise serious concern about "the double standard" of the U.N.'s most powerful body. Its military had not given any indication of unusual movements on Tuesday, the South's military said.
The party officials who went to Pyongyang five and 10 years ago were of more senior rank than Mr. Song, though clearly this time Mr. Song's mission is broader than a mere tally of last month's proceedings, Mr. Yang said.
Ja asked Guterres to circulate the letter to the Security Council and the General Assembly, and also asked him to use his power under Article 99 of the U.N. Charter to bring to the Security Council's attention "the danger being posed by the U.S. nuclear war exercises which are clearly threats to international peace and security".
- No habrá reunión con el Gobierno en República Dominicana — Oposición venezolana
- Whatsapp: ¿Cómo ver los mensajes eliminados de una conversación?
- Peña pide a las ONGs no hacer 'bullying' a instituciones de seguridad
- Cómo seguirá el tiempo este martes
- Empate sin goles entre Inglaterra y Brasil, en un partido amistoso
- Liberan a polígamo que lideraba secta
- Vettel boosted by Brazil win after 'tough couple of weeks' for Ferrari
- Reports: Barcelona 'agree deal' for Manchester United target Antoine Griezmann
- Australia votó Sí al matrimonio homosexual en una histórica consulta popular
- A punta de pistola, asaltan a conductor en Miramontes