Peter Holt, the owner of the WNBA's San Antonio Stars, has reportedly agreed on a deal with a buyer that has plans to relocate the franchise to Las Vegas, according to a Thursday evening report from Michael C. Wright of ESPN.
"On behalf of Spurs Sports & Entertainment ownership, management, and staff, we are all very thankful to the wonderful Stars fans, season ticket members and corporate partners who have supported the team over the last 15 years", the statement read in part. A spokesman for Spurs Sports & Entertainment declined to comment on a pending Las Vegas move.
Spurs Sports & Entertainment, which owns the San Antonio-based WNBA franchise, has an agreement in place to sell the team to an unnamed buyer who plans to relocate the team to Nevada, sources told ESPN on Thursday night.
The San Antonio Express-News and the Associated Press reported the Stars' potential sale earlier. As you may know, the Utah Starzz were one oft he eight original WNBA teams when the league launched in the summer of 1997.
San Antonio finished last in the WNBA at 8-26 this season, the third year in a row that the Stars have had the worst record in the league. The team moved to San Antonio for the 2003 season, and named the Silver Stars before being shorted to just Stars.
The Stars last reached the postseason in 2014 and have not posted a winning record since 2012. After picking up Kelsey Plum with the No. 1 pick in the 2017 WNBA Draft, the club has the best lottery odds for 2018.
The Golden Knights began play in Las Vegas this season, while the Raiders are scheduled to move from Oakland in either 2019 or 2020.
- Esperamos se respete la voluntad popular del #15Oct — VIDEO Padrino López
- Francesa Audrey Azoulay es elegida nueva directora general de la Unesco
- Roban a Marc Anthony 2.5 millones de dólares
- El baile de Jey Mammon por la diversidad sexual en "ShowMatch" — Emotivo
- Tienda deportiva impide beso gay para serie de Netflix
- Listo capítulo de TLCAN sobre competencia en arranque de 4a ronda
- Integran equipos de Tiro con Arco para el Mundial de México
- En Ecuador niegan apelación de prisión preventiva para Jorge Glas
- Eugenio Derbez habla de la agresión de Eduardo Yáñez a periodista
- Cilic pudo con Albert Ramos y está en semifinales