The Brazilian reacted to a tackle by Lucas Ocampos, throwing his head forward and Ocampos fell dramatically on the floor in front of the referee to earn Neymar a dismissal. (More of that in a moment).
"I think it was exaggerated, yes", the former Barcelona attacker told Esporte Interativo following the feisty 2-2 draw at the Orange Velodrome, as cited by the Daily Mail. It's not the way to be.
In Italy, Sami Khedira scored a hat-trick as 10-man Juventus recovered to beat Udinese 6-2 at the Dacia Arena.
Marseille placed fourth on the table with 17 points have won five and lost two games out of the 9 games played so far.
Making his eighth appearance for Paris Saint-Germain in Ligue 1, the Brazilian levelled the scores in the 33rd minute to cancel out Luis Gustavo's opener.
Earlier in the game, Neymar had to avoid a barrage of missiles as he took a corner.
'I think the referee [Ruddy Buquet] also needs to think well.
'After 2-1 and the sending off it was difficult for us but the character of the team helped us draw'.
But Neymar believes that the decision made by Buquet was a harsh one, and that the reaction from his fellow South American was indeed over-the-top after stating he had been on the receiving end of bad challenges all evening.
Though not justification for the player's actions - he should have understood that squaring up to an opponent having already been booked was at best risky - it is easy to understand why he would have been frustrated.
- Reportan un herido en incendio en Tultitlán
- Juez suspendido defiende decisión sobre traslado de cárcel a "Quirinito"
- Olimpo y Morón van por más historia
- Google investiga problemas con la pantalla del Pixel 2 XL
- Peña Nieto destaca respuesta "eficaz" del sector salud ante sismos en México
- Urtubey recibió una catarata de renuncias de su gabinete
- Macri: "La Argentina seguirá tomando deuda"
- Saint Malo recibe credenciales del embajador de China, Wei Qiang
- Elecciones 2017: ¿Qué pasa con quienes no fueron a votar?
- "No soy la niñera de Neymar ni de Cavani" — Dani Alves