Harvey, the fiercest hurricane to hit the U.S.in more than a decade, made landfall Friday night about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northeast of Corpus Christi as a Category 4 storm with 130 mph (209 kph) winds.
Hurricanes that land in Texas tend to have little impact on oil production, but more significant consequences for refining, according to Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst at the Oil Price Information Service. Pallets stacked with food, water and fuel were loaded up in Sherman Oaks as crews got ready for the long haul Saturday night. Schools were also damaged.
If there was any silver lining to Abbott's assessment, it was that the petroleum industry in the area - including half the nation's oil-refining capacity - was "very well prepared" for the storm.
The First Baptist Church in Rockport also took heavy damage; one entire cinder block wall is simply gone, the remains scattered across the parking lot.
In an interview today, FEMA administrator Brock Long said nearly 5,000 federal government workers are involved in the response. Trump directed all departments and agencies to "stay fully engaged and positioned to support his number one priority of saving lives", and the governors of Texas and Louisiana, the White House said. "City, State and Federal Govs. working great together!" he tweeted, after meeting with his cabinet via teleconference to discuss the ongoing relief efforts. "So far, so good!"
Hurricane Harvey has made landfall, stalling over the Texas coast and expected to cause "catastrophic and life-threatening flooding".
But wind speeds quickly weakened and by early Saturday Harvey was downgraded.
"We've already taken a severe blow from the storm, but we're anticipating another one when the flooding comes", Rockport mayor Charles Wax told CNN. Harvey delivered a direct blow to Rockport, a city of about 10,000 people. Before mid-day on Saturday, an estimated 300,000 residents along the Texas coast were left without power, the Houston Chronicle reported.
The US Coast Guard in Houston has requested more helicopters as more people ask for help.
The center says maximum sustained winds have decreased to near 65 mph. One community transported multiple people from a senior living home to the county jail for treatment after a roof caved in.
- ¡No más películas de Stephen King para Trump!
- Diosdado Cabello responde a las acusaciones de la exfiscal Luisa Ortega — Venezuela
- Memo Ochoa hizo una autocrítica tras la goleada
- How to Help Storm Victims — Hurricane Harvey
- Everton boss Koeman opens doors for a move for superstar striker
- Éider Arévalo recibirá una casa del presidente Santos
- The underdog once again, Conor McGregor wants you to trust him — Simmons
- Confirman un muerto y cuatro desaparecidos por tornado en México
- Enfrentamiento entre bandas dejó 8 fallecidos en Ciudad Bolívar
- Delfina Pignatiello hizo historia para la natación argentina