United had been locked in talks with Real to try and land the player - who himself has been pressing for Madrid to allow him to make the move to Old Trafford.
Conte had put the former Blues striker at the top of his wanted list this summer, but the Everton man is poised to sign for Manchester United after the two clubs agreed a fee in the region of £75million.
Reports have suggested that Chelsea are still in with a shout of landing Lukaku, but with the player set to undergo a medical with United, barring a dramatic U-turn, this now looks unlikely.
Fans are right to feel aggrieved, because the status quo has rekindled rumours that Conte, who swiftly attained hero status on an unprecedented scale at Stamford Bridge, might depart in a fit of frustrated pique. The striker apparently only wants to play for Atletico Madrid if he is sold and his transfer market value as a consequence has diminished drastically from the sums being bandied about in January when a move to the Chinese Super League was under consideration.
News that a £75-million (S$134m) transfer had been agreed for the 24-year-old Belgium striker broke yesterday. United will arrive in southern California on Sunday, and Lukaku will soon reportedly be joining them.
Romelu Lukaku has refused to join Everton for pre-season.
He can also feature on both flanks and in the attacking-midfield role Rooney has come to adapt as his own in the later stages of his career, although Juan Mata's place in the squad means a wing role may be more likely.
Ambitious targets such as Alexis Sanchez and Robert Lewandowski seem unrealistic.
Mark Worrall is one of ESPN FC's Chelsea bloggers.
- #VIDEO Así suena "Felices los 4" con Marc Anthony
- Trump y Putin tienen su primer cara a cara en Hamburgo
- Simeone supera Zidane y Luis Enrique
- "Por momentos he jugado un tenis casi irreal" — Nadal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Leak: The smartphone may have a new look
- Ringo Starr y Paul McCartney anuncian nuevo disco
- La herencia de José Luis Cuevas, ¿a quién pertenece?
- We can grab this opportunity of a lifetime, says Sexton — Lions Tour
- Trump acusa a Rusia de desestabilización e injerencia antes de G20
- Jeremy Renner se fracturó sus brazos filmando Avengers: Infinity War