United had been locked in talks with Real to try and land the player - who himself has been pressing for Madrid to allow him to make the move to Old Trafford.
Conte had put the former Blues striker at the top of his wanted list this summer, but the Everton man is poised to sign for Manchester United after the two clubs agreed a fee in the region of £75million.
Reports have suggested that Chelsea are still in with a shout of landing Lukaku, but with the player set to undergo a medical with United, barring a dramatic U-turn, this now looks unlikely.
Fans are right to feel aggrieved, because the status quo has rekindled rumours that Conte, who swiftly attained hero status on an unprecedented scale at Stamford Bridge, might depart in a fit of frustrated pique. The striker apparently only wants to play for Atletico Madrid if he is sold and his transfer market value as a consequence has diminished drastically from the sums being bandied about in January when a move to the Chinese Super League was under consideration.
#VIDEO Así suena "Felices los 4" con Marc Anthony
Mejor canción para tu camioneta: Siempre te voy a querer , de Calibre 50. Mejor vídeo: Sigo extrañándote , de J Balvin . Gente de Zona y Carlos Rivera .
News that a £75-million (S$134m) transfer had been agreed for the 24-year-old Belgium striker broke yesterday. United will arrive in southern California on Sunday, and Lukaku will soon reportedly be joining them.
Romelu Lukaku has refused to join Everton for pre-season.
He can also feature on both flanks and in the attacking-midfield role Rooney has come to adapt as his own in the later stages of his career, although Juan Mata's place in the squad means a wing role may be more likely.
Ambitious targets such as Alexis Sanchez and Robert Lewandowski seem unrealistic.
Mark Worrall is one of ESPN FC's Chelsea bloggers.
- Simeone supera Zidane y Luis Enrique
- We can grab this opportunity of a lifetime, says Sexton — Lions Tour
- Declaran patrimonio mundial al Parque Nacional Los Alerces
- Qué se dijeron Trump y Putin en su primer encuentro oficial
- Ringo Starr y Paul McCartney anuncian nuevo disco
- Jeremy Renner se fracturó sus brazos filmando Avengers: Infinity War
- La herencia de José Luis Cuevas, ¿a quién pertenece?
- Motor de arranque para coches Dayco
- Trump y Putin tienen su primer cara a cara en Hamburgo
- Padre se las ingenia para "llevar" a su hija a Disney World