At least 26 Egyptian soldiers were killed or wounded in two suicide attacks on army checkpoints in Egypt's thinly populated Sinai, reported news agency AFP.
They also reaffirmed the need for all States to "combat by all means", in accordance with the UN Charter and other obligations under international law, threats to international peace and security caused by terrorist acts.
The army casualties included a high-ranking special forces officer, Colonel Ahmed el-Mansi, according to Al Jazeera. "Quickly, oh men, anyone who knows how to reach the command center, notify them to use artillery as we are still alive". Hundreds of police and army personnel have been killed since then.
Provincial and security officials said funerals were held for at least 21 soldiers.
The area was also the site of fierce battles in the spring between the tribesmen and militants.
The military has killed several of their commanders, including their top leader Abu Duaa al-Ansari in 2016.
Kesha regresa con "Praying" después de su demanda contra Dr. Luke
De acuerdo con la revista estadounidense "Variety", la estrella del pop ha estado involucrada en asuntos legales con su ex productor Dr.
The Sinai militants pledged allegiance to Islamic State in 2014 and adopted the name Sinai Province.
The militants arrived at the site of the checkpoint located in a remote, desert area in some 24 Land Cruiser SUVs, and opened fire on the soldiers with machine guns for half an hour.
Witnesses said they saw Apache helicopters carrying out airstrikes across Rafah after the attack.
The Sinai attack came as the Islamic State group is fast losing its once vast territory in Syria and Iraq.
The bombings present a challenge for general-turned-president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who describes Islamist militancy as an existential threat and himself as a bulwark against extremism in a region beset by violence and war.
Hamas, which is seeking to improve relations with Cairo, quickly condemned Friday's attack. Security forces managed to kill over 40 terrorists in clashes.
- Justin Trudeau se reunirá con Peña Nieto durante cumbre del G-20
- Arrestan al actor Shia LaBeouf por ebriedad
- El colombiano que se acerca Boca
- El contrato más jugoso de la NBA: James Harden
- Terry Francona no será mánager en el Juego de Estrellas
- La salud del premio Nobel de la Paz Liu Xiaobo empeora
- Jugador del Ajax se desvanece por arritmia cardiaca
- California politics updates: Gov. Brown announcing climate summit
- Spurs Take Smart Shot On Rehabbing Rudy Gay — Grades
- Race will be about damage limitation — Hamilton